Monday, April 4, 2011

SWEET ARMENIAN WINE - ANOUSH KINI - Երգ Խնճոյքի

I'm allergic to wine, all wine, even hard liquor.  So when my relatives said they were serving wine for dinner, I cautioned them. Don't put out a glass for me!  I'll just sneeze!  No matter. They were gracious hosts and did place a wine glass in front of  me, telling me that their father had made the wine himself in the 1970's, when he was in his 70's.  Well, this I had to try.  Out came a quart sized green glass 7-Up bottle (from the 1970's)   3/4 full of an amber liquid which they poured into my wine glass.  I sipped it, cautiously.  This was not wine! This was the finest brandy I had ever tasted.  And another sip . . . waiting for that sneeze which never came!  But the song did! (If you click this link, and the arrow at the top of that page, you'll hear the song. Raise your glass and sing along -- the lyrics appear in both Armenian and English script!)

2 comments:

  1. Memories of my grandpa come tumbling into my head - the wine, the laughter and the love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @mindfulYes, I loved him so much! Uncle Manoog! And the wine he made? I remember that he drank a glass of his wine at supper every day!

    ReplyDelete