Thursday, April 7, 2011

VITAMIN C FOR BREAKFAST?


No vitamin C tablets for Amish children.  In the 19th Century (where did I read that years ago?), the Amish would send their children outside to gather and eat the fresh leaves of violets for their daily dose of vitamin C. (I wonder what happened in the winter -- did they grow violets indoors?)  And now I know why the Armenians migrated from frigid New England to sunny California.  Walk out your back door and pick an orange or two for breakfast from your very own orange tree -- Vitamin C and joy!  
Guess where I am and guess what I'll be doing this morning!

3 comments:

  1. I just took a vitamin C tablet - and a multi-vitamin capsule, too. Oranges would be a LOT better, and more fun! But at least we do have the pills. My mom (who plied us with them as kids) said that HER mother was very progressive for her era and insisted that all of my aunts and uncles get their vitamins - we are talking pre WWI - My mom was born 1909. Grandma always had a vegetable garden, too - and lived till her 90's, as did mom. However, my other grandmother also lived well into her 90's despite a vitamin-supplement-less diet of starches and lots of salt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it has always been one of my singular regrets in life that dad did not follow our dear cousins to Fresno, or Pasadena, or northern california. northern california, the wine country, the country north of the sacramento county area, have to be the best places to live in this country if one's criteria is soil and sun, and growing all things possible. those criteria would be good enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greet everyone I know out there!

    ReplyDelete