Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Remembering Armen Sahakian

Photo from Internet

Marash Girl remembers the first day she learned of you, Armen.  Her good friend Judith told her about a very handsome young Armenian man who was studying in the Graduate School at Harvard University, living in a private apartment complex on Massachusetts Avenue in Cambridge. You were a roommate of Judith's friend (although Marash Girl doesn't remember the friend's name).  Judith said she wanted me to meet you because you were a good-looking, intelligent young Armenian man, and therefore was inviting you and her friend to the Jolly-Up -- a dance/mixer for young Radcliffe women to meet young Harvard men.

Judith introduced us.  You were so handsome with dark, wavy hair.  You asked me to dance, and I accepted, and as we danced, I learned that you were Tashnak.  Naive as I was in those days, I remember saying to you, "I'm so sorry, Armen, but I won't be able to date you because you're Tashnak." . . . not that you had given me any hint that you would ever want to invite me out on a date.

Years later, I learned that you had been very good friends with my husband, Levon.  And still later, you and your family visited us at our summer cabin in Wilbraham, Massachusetts, and at Mt. Tom Greenhouse in Holyoke, Massachusetts, and more recently, you came to Boston on business and visited our family in Newton, Massachusetts.  I think that was the last time we were together.  It was then that I took you to visit the editors of the Armenian Weekly and the Armenian Mirror Spectator.  I knew they would be interested in writing about your visit to the United States, and they were.

                                                                                                   Photo by Marash Girl                                                                                            

Asdvadz kezi louysavoreh, Armen Sahakian.
Armen . . . May the Lord our God welcome you into His Kingdom.

7 comments:

  1. Deron writes, 'I learned from him the meaning of the word “flat”, referring to apartment, in English English.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter Charles Holm writes, "So sorry for your loss!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marash Marta writes: "I really do not ever remember meeting Armen Sahakian. He must have been quite an interesting chap (even though he was Tachnak)!!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Varteni M. writes, "what a precious recollection. My condolences."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah Salter writes, Sad, but very sweet memories. I don't remember Armen, but do recall 2 Judiths - Judith K and Judith H. My guess would be Judith K, who was more outgoing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lorig G. writes, "Which reminds me of the time when i was in high school and attending a party. Someone introduced me to the only boy in the school that was Armenian. i said hello. He asked "Are you Lousavorchagan?' I said yes. His next question was "Are you TZ (tashnag), I said i was. Then he said "I am sorry, my parents would not like me to have anything to do with you"... I had not been planning on anything, nor had i hinted at anything, ... I had said "hello" and answered two questions....All these years later, .I have tried to look him up o the internet, but have not succeeded....just curious to see with whom he ended up (and hope his parents were very happy)"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ann Porter writes, "I’m so sorry. Beautiful memory."

    ReplyDelete