Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Remembering Leo Kricorian

Leo Kricorian  c. 1962
Photo by Ed Kricorian
I have been thinking about you, Leo . . . wanting to record memories of our fun times together at (then known as)  the United Armenian Brethren Church on Arsenal Street in Watertown, Massachusetts. And this morning I went to the internet, looking to see how we might get together and chat about the old days, when I learned of your passing!!! Oh, no!!! You were such a wonderful person, and so much fun!!! I can still see you and hear your voice singing God's praises as you stand at the front of the church sanctuary to the right of the pulpit singing and playing your guitar. I remember when you and I acted out the parts of Joseph and Mary in the Manger Scene at the front of the church at Christmas Time for all the congregation to enjoy . . . that was so special!!! Then today, wanting to catch up with you, I went to the internet to learn of your whereabouts . . . only to learn of your passing and the little bit that followed about your life. I am brokenhearted, but I know I shouldn't be. I know how much you loved the Lord Jesus Christ, how, from the pulpit, your voice and guitar rang out singing God's praises, how you are now with the Lord Our God!!! We shall meet again, dear friend!!! And let me sing again, as we used to sing and shout from the pulpit when we were kids,
                             
When we all get to heaven, 
What a day of rejoicing that will be! 

When we all see Jesus, 
We'll sing and SHOUT the victory! 

Martha Mae (Bilezikian) McCool writes from California, "I grew up in Newtonville, Massachusetts, and attended the same church that Leo attended from the time we were toddlers until we became young adults . . . those who stayed in the Boston area, continued to attend. Since I had moved out of state, I lost touch with many of my friends and relatives who attended and were original members of that church. My great uncle (The Reverend Vartan Bilezikian) was the first pastor of this church which at that time was called The Watertown United Armenian Evangelical Church. I understand that the name of our church was later changed. It was truly a "family church" where most of the parishioners were genocide survivors who pooled their meager resources to build the church . . . a place where they could worship freely. As kids, we would race around the church's basement where the Sunday School teacher tried to quiet us down . . . keep us better behaved . . . but it was so much fun to reunite with all the kids every Sunday. Leo was a good friend, and about the same age as most of us kids (born around1940-1945) . . . Leo was a blast . . . very talented musically, and we always looked forward to that moment in the service when the "children's choir" (aka us unruly kids) would assemble to sing a cute song (giggling, singing, and laughing all at the same time) while accompanied by our very talented friend, Leo, playing the guitar. Leo, you will be missed, but I know you are making beautiful music up there with our loved ones."

Well-known author Nancy Kricorian (Leo Kricorian's niece) write, "Music was the passion of Leo’s life, and in his youth he was the front man for the bands Leo and The Thunderbirds and Leo and the Rhythm Rockers. He wrote music and lyrics, and recorded several songs under the name Leo Scott. He was the lead guitarist for the Andy Healy Band starting in the late 70’s. Andy Healy said of Leo, “He truly loved the Irish music scene, and he was front and center with our band. He was always very dependable, and he was never late for a gig in the 37 years he played with us.”Of note, as well, is that Leo was a guitar teacher, and one of his early students was well-known guitarist, composer, and educator John Baboian. We shall miss you, Leo. We DO miss you, Leo!! But even as we are missing you, we'll keep singing, just as we did with you, Leo, and as I have remembered above: "When we all get to heaven, what a day of rejoicing that will be! When we all see Jesus, we'll sing and SHOUT the victory!"

John Harutunian writes, “Leo Kricorian and his family were very much part of what was then known as the Armenian Brethren Evangelical Church of Watertown. His mother and my grandmother, Agavnie Harutunian, were good friends. I remember that Leo made his outward, public commitment to Christ at a Billy Graham crusade held at Boston University’s Nickerson Field in 1982; and subsequently commented on it in an article in the Boston Globe! Though I didn’t get to know him too well, I do remember Leo as a friendly and likable person -- as, doubtless, do all who knew him at the Watertown church.”                                                 

1 comment:

  1. Leo was my first guitar teacher. Our first lesson was on August 6, 1968. I know that because I still have my first guitar book, and he used to put the dates of our lesson assignments in the book. I studied with him for 2-3 years before going to Berklee as a high school student in their extension program. Leo was the perfect teacher for me as a beginner guitarist. He was knowledgeable, patient, and worked with me well to advance my early playing. As I look back on it, he was an influential person on my musicianship and on some of my teaching methods.

    Here is a little story. Nothing too earth shaking.
    When I was studying with him, he put out his record, a "45", called Losin' by Leo Scott. I can still sing the hook to the song. Somewhere in the house I still have the record. At the time, he was trying to get airplay on radio stations, as that was how you generated a "buzz" about you as a musician, and hopefully monetize that. I don't think the term "monetize" was used back then, but that was the goal. So, he was getting some airplay on a local station. I don't remember the exact call letters but it may have been WCAS. He asked his students to call in to the station occasionally to request his song. So, I, being a good student, started calling WCAS on a semi-regular basis requesting his song. I called maybe once a week or so. Sometimes, not actually listening to hear if it got played. Well, one time that backfired on me. I called the station, and I remember calling several times because no one answered. Finally, someone picked up and I said, "can you play Losin' by Leo Scott?". The guy on the phone kind of yelled back at me, "there's a hockey game on right now". Oops. I learned my lesson from that. Leo later told me that someone from the station called him and said, stop having your students call the station.
    Leo will be missed.
    John Baboian
    Professor of Guitar
    Berklee College of Music
    Boston, MA

    ReplyDelete