Saturday, May 15, 2021

NO GUNSHOPS IN NEWTON, PLEASE!

A LETTER TO MAYOR OF NEWTON RUTHANNE FULLER FROM A LONG TIME CITIZEN OF NEWTON, MASSACHUSETTS I, born and brought up in the City of Newton, one who attended Newton Public Schools from kindergarten through 12th grade, one who has worked for the City of Newton at Newton High School, a former member of the Newton Parks and Recreation Commission, am writing to you with great concern. Allowing the opening pf a gun shop, albeit next to a marijuana shop (get high and grab your gun?) in Newtonville, less than a mile from Underwood Elementary School, Bigelow Junior High School, and a little over a mile from Newton North High School … such an action on the part of your office Is unconscionable, unacceptable, unwise, and certainly not in the best interest of Newton’s citizenry. Please do all in your power to prevent the possibility of guns being sold in the City of Newton. (Signature withheld to protect the author of the above letter.)

2 comments:

  1. I'm totally with Marash Girl. I'd just add to the list my own Elementary School "Alma Mater", Cabot School.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandy Fessenden BrauerMay 18, 2021 at 10:03 PM

    Dear Mayor Fuller:

    I grew up in Newton, went all through the Newton public schools and feel it imperative that common sense dominates corporate interests. When I was in junior high school, a classmate was shot and killed in the classroom. My God, is this what you want to happen again?

    There is no reason to have a gun shop in Newton. Studies indicate that when gun owners proliferate so do police intervention and also crime.

    I sit here in Indonesia and wonder if there is anything I can do to save the character of Newton, which gave me so much that will be eroded if this gun shop is allowed, especially in an area surrounded by schools, schools for which Newton is noted and receives national praise.

    Very sincerely,

    Mandy Fessenden Brauer, Ph.D.

    ReplyDelete