Wednesday, February 23, 2011

BONDING AROUND A BIN - FINANCIAL DISTRICT, NEW YORK CITY

I used to look forward to our trips to New York City for two reasons. One, I could visit my son, and two, I could go to the Strand Book Store Annex and browse their sidewalk sale.  But the Strand Annex closed and in its place opened a Lot-Less, a discount everything store, a store at which I would never shop, but -- hey, it's right around the corner from my son's apartment!  So deciding I needed to stock my son's pantry with herbal teas (he never drinks them, but I do), I headed to Lot-Less first thing. I arrived, but never really got past the first bin, for in that bin (which was placed at at the top of the staircase at the entrance) were thousands of pairs of brand new, packaged, Ergee women's tights, tights which could retail for up to $30 a pair, in all sizes and shades (featured at Lot-Less for only $1.00 a pair), and surrounding the bin were women of all sizes and shades on their lunch hour.  Hey, a party! I decided to join.  And what fun!  One woman was looking for glitzy silver tights in size small -- oh, here's a size small in pink!  Do you want it?  Another for black tights in size tall (she just couldn't find them) -- but others in the party did -- here are 5 in size tall, and all black!  No, you should probably take a medium.  How about these brown ones, they're a size medium -- yes, here they are -- do you want them? Oh. . . Look -- she just found 3 size medium lacey black tights for you . . . Boyfriends and husbands were helping until they were elbowed out by the growing number of female enthusiasts, suddenly all sisters, bonding on their break from work, bonding over lunch hour, bonding over a bin of $1.00 tights.

1 comment:

  1. Wow . . . what a FANTASTIC discovery (lemonaid from lemons)! I bet you are now planning more frequent NYC trips (just for the "must have" SURPRISE bargain items in those bins)!
    What a blast . . .the comraderie and the adventure of diving into the depths of the bin to find such exquisite treasures which was as exciting as the price.
    How many pairs (and colors) of tights were you able to find?

    ReplyDelete