Sunday, February 27, 2011

ON MAKING SCRAMBLED EGGS

Okay. Scrambled eggs, you say . . . who can't make scrambled eggs?  I had had a bad cold (sore throat, cough) for several days (probably fever, but I refused to admit it), and felt lousy, so I asked my husband to make breakfast.  That would be a first for him.  What do you feel like eating, he asked.  Nothing, I said, feeling grumpy.  No, that's not true.  Could you make me some scrambled eggs?  They're quick and easy and delicious.  Here's how you do it . . . No, stop! he said.  I'll only make them if you come down to the kitchen and tell me how to make them.  Do I have to? I queried, but I already knew the answer.

So down the stairs I hobbled (my legs weren't sick, but I had been in bed for too long) and plopped myself into a kitchen chair.  Okay.  Take out the eggs.  He did.  But how do I break them? he asked.  Just take two eggs and hit the sides together; one will break and one won't.  How do you know that? he asked.  Your mother taught me, I answered.

So he took down one of my favorite orange mixing bowls, and cracked 4 eggs for the first time in his life.  He did it perfectly.  I wonder why only one breaks and the other doesn't, he queried.  You're the scientist, I answered.  You went to Harvard.  You figure it out, and figure it out before we play the Armenian egg game at Easter, because the same thing happens then!

Now what, he asked.  Now beat the eggs with that wire whip.  Okay.

Now pour a tablespoon or so of olive oil into that copper bottomed omelet pan over there and heat it until the olive oil just starts sizzling.  Like this? he asked. Yes.

Okay, now pour in the eggs and when they settle, start stirring them.  With what? he asked.  He turned around and grabbed the largest metal spoon he could find from my container of kitchen tools (almost the size of a small garden trowel).  This should do, he said.

And with a few stirs, and a few furtive adjustments of the flame, and  about a minute more,  the eggs were done.  And I have to admit, they were the most delicious scrambled eggs I've ever eaten.

That's because of the spoon I used to stir them with, he said.  Or was it because he had made breakfast for me for the first time in our lives together.  Or was it because my husband had gone to Whole Foods early that morning and bought Grade A Fresh Large Brown Eggs, Cage free, raised naturally, raised without antibiotics, vegetarian fed with no animal by-products. . .

9 comments:

  1. Who washed the dirty dishes, utensils, and pan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. only problem is that chickens are not vegetarians. there are no hindu chickens, buddhist chickens, or new age chickens, just plain old seventh day of creation omniverous chickens. what is a chicken scratching for in the barnyard? not for carrots, or lettuce, it is for grubs and any other kind of flesh protein it can eat, along with grass and other vegetation. find a local farmer who raises chickens in a pasture. the taste is amazing, as is the color of the yolks. also, if you fry the eggs in butter that comes from all grass fed dairy cows, from milk that has not been pasteurized, you get the best of all possible scrambled egg worlds. all the reports about butter being bad do not apply to butter such as this. you have a real treat waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn’t know my mother cracked eggs by hitting two eggs together. Then how did the other egg get cracked?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought the book Sunday Breakfast: A Cookbook for Men by Nitty Gritty Productions for my husband many years ago to encourage him to fix breakfast. It didn't work. Good luck if you buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you just taught me a new word ... Yades. We've done that my whole life, but there was never a word/name associated with it. I tried looking that up but didn't see anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mia culpa! I meant the Yades game at Thanksgiving! See my post detailing the Yades game at Thanksgiving: http://marashgirl.blogspot.com/2011/11/thanksgiving-wish-bone-game-armenian.html

      Delete
    2. Ah, OK. Well then, I don't know if there is a name for it, but do you guys do the thing where everyone holds an Easter egg and you hit the tips together. Whoever ends up with their egg intact at the end has good luck for the year? I grew up thinking that was just some silly thing my grandfather started to amuse the kids, but a few years ago, I found out a lot of people do that. :)

      Delete
    3. Hello, Chris Coyle. Yades could as well apply to the egg game, though I'm not sure. We color our eggs with the natural dye of onion skins. See http://marashgirl.blogspot.com/2011/04/have-you-started-saving-your-onion.html This Easter, I'll be writing about the Easter Egg game and its symbolism, so 'stay tuned'.

      Delete