Monday, February 28, 2011

POPOVERS AGAIN?

An ardent follower of my blog posts was somewhat mystified by my description of the popping of the popovers.   (See Marash Girl's Popovers) Although he wanted to try the recipe for himself, he had no laboratory in which to experiment -- even though he's a reknowned scientist!  He came to our door this morning, begging to use our kitchen to see if, in fact, I was telling the truth, and that the popovers would really pop without help from an artificial rising agent such as baking powder or baking soda.  Being a man of little faith, he had to see for himself.  (No, his name is not Thomas.)

Forgetting to give him an apron, I gave him full rein of our kitchen.   As you can see, before I could get my camera (i.e., in 3 minutes), he had preheated the oven, cracked the two eggs using my mother-in-law's favorite method (hitting the eggs against each other  -- yes, only one breaks), found my favorite wire whip on the shelf around the corner
in order to stir the 2 eggs, 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of milk and a pinch of salt, poured the batter into a well greased popover pan, and placed the pan into the very hot preheated oven.
Twenty minutes later, the popovers had popped -- see his grin? and he was a believer.



Even though he wanted to finish all six popovers himself,
he agreed to share; after all, he had used our kitchen. Unfortunately, my husband (not realizing that this ardent follower of my blog posts had made these popovers,) said to me, "Wow!  These are even better than the ones you made for me on Valentine's Day!"  That was it.  Never again will I allow this interloper to experiment in my kitchen!!!!

2 comments:

  1. CAN'T WAIT TO TRY YOUR POPOVER RECIPE THAT THE SCIENTIEST IS ENJOYABLY AND ENERGETICALLY DEVOURING WITH GHUSTO.
    I'M AMAZED THAT THERE WERE ANY POPOVERS LEFT FOR HUBBY TO TASTE.
    BY THE WAY, I LOVE YOUR HALLOWEEN POTHOLDER!

    ReplyDelete