Friday, February 3, 2017

Nasrettin Hoja: Who are you going to believe, me or my donkey?

What a surprise when Marash Girl learned that the Marx Brothers may have taken the quip (heard in their Movie DUCK SOUP),  "Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes?" from a very old Nasreddin Hoja tale recorded by Marash Girl several years ago as follows:

When Hodja's neighbor asks to borrow Hodja's donkey, Hodja answers, "Sorry, somebody else has already borrowed my donkey." At that very moment the donkey hee-haws and the neighbor hears and says, "Eh, What do you mean? I can even hear the donkey hee-hawing!" "Well," answers Hodja, "who do you believe, me or my donkey?"


N.B. This is one of the grandchildren's favorite tales!  It could be amended, I suppose, or updated for today's headlines to read, "Who are you going to believe?  Me or the donkey?"

0 comments:

Post a Comment