Friday, April 23, 2021

PLEASE!!! NO GUNS IN NEWTON!!!!

Dear Mayor Fuller: I am not a resident of Newton. I don't even live in Massachusetts. I am the daughter and granddaughter of a Newtonian family that made its home on Lowell Avenue after the Great Depression. Every summer, my parents would fly our whole family to Logan where we were met by my grandparents, Peter and Jennie. We spent whole summers playing in their yard, mixing it up across the street in an open lot, and walking to Bullough's Pond. As a special treat, we'd take the T to Fenway and root for the Red Sox! The house was down the road from Newton High (now Newton North) - go Tigers! I'm writing about these events because my Newtonville-dwelling aunt informed me of a gun shop - one of many, apparently - that is in process of hanging up its shingle. I can't imagine the Newton/Newtonville of my youth with a gun shop in it. And this is why: We walked as kids, unaccompanied down the streets without fear. We passed Newton North all the time, without fear. We walked to the T and entered Fenway without fear. We ran back and forth from the library to check out books and movies without fear. I understand that there are many people who regard gun ownership as a sacred right. I understand the need of some to possess firearms (the ranchers in my community all have rifles, and often use them against pests to their hens and cattle). But I'm wondering what use a gun shop would be in suburban Newton/Newtonville? As I recall, my lovely childhood summers were spent in a town home to families; schools; civic, cultural, and community centers. We now have three living generations among my Newtonian family. I ask that you and your governmental colleagues do your best to protect against the gun violence that is raging throughout our country. Step one in that battle is disarming the perpetrators. No one can shoot without an easily accessible firearm. Please say no to gun violence; say no to gun shops in Newton! Thank you for heeding my letter, Mayor Fuller. Sincerely, Alison Sykes Graeagle, CA

1 comment:

  1. A friend writes, “Why doesn’t the Commonwealth require that the gun shop set up in an industrial park?”

    ReplyDelete