Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Show Me The Way To Go Home!



Anyone who knows Marash Girl knows that she doesn't touch alcohol; everyone who knows Marash Girl knows that one of her favorite songs,  is Show Me The Way To Go Home (words and music by Irving King), a song that she'll belt out at any given moment!  Why it's a favorite, she does not know; when she started singing it, she does not know, though she suspects it was on the bus during F.A.Day Jr. High School field trips.  All she knows for sure is that she has never heard the song sung by professionals, nor has she ever seen the music . . . never, that is, until today, when she was listing sheet music for sale [sheet music that she had recently purchased from a century old music store.] The lyrics to the chorus are exactly as she sings them! The piece was copyright in 1925 in England with a USA copyright of 1952, which is probably just around the time Marash Girl first heard the song!
[N.B. The sheet music is now listed for sale at OldCornerBooks.com.]

Whoops!  Forgot the most important thing: the lyrics to the chorus!  Here they are!

Show me the way to go home!
I'm tired and I want to go to bed.
Well, I had a little drink about an hour ago, and it went straight to my head . ..
Wherever I may roam; on land or sea or foam. . .
You will always hear me singing this song!
"Show me the way to go home!"

3 comments:

  1. I can just see and hear a bus full of f.a. Day junior high schoolers, tired, thirsty, and hungry, belting out the song because they were on the way home. In the face of all that, miss vaznaian would sink ever deeper into her black shroud, a regal sphinx, corners of her mouth turned up, while mr. Yugelowich, smiling deeply at a choir that had sprung from the head of borderline anarchy, sought to conduct this all volunteer chorale, an effort comparable to gaining control of a team of runaway horses. Hoarse never, team forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I heard you singing that way long back in our first year at university!

    ReplyDelete