Tuesday, January 25, 2011

THIS LITTLE LIGHT OF YOURS

Thinking about yesterday's blog, sharing the recipe for Spanaklu Yumurta with my cousin, a dish she (and I) had eaten as a child, I was thinking about how the very freshest of ingredients make a difference. For example, in the recipe I shared, using frozen spinach rather than fresh would make the product soggy, using adult spinach rather than baby spinach would leave a furry taste on the palate, using dried bottled parmesan rather than freshly grated would create a slightly chemical taste, using pre-ground bottled nutmeg rather than freshly ground (yes, you must buy a nutmeg grater and grind that nut!) would make the eggs taste musty; using heavily refined salt out of a salt shaker rather than coarse or kosher or sea salt would make the dish taste, yes, salty but not tasty. What does all that have to do with us today?

Well, do we want to be soggy, or musty? I woke up thinking about a favorite Sunday School hymn -- It goes like this, and I think if we follow the suggestion of the chorus, we will never be accused of being soggy or musty or boring or dusty! Here goes with the Sunday School chorus (and the lesson) I learned before I was five years old:

This little light of mine. I'm gonna let it shine . . .
This little light of mine. I'm gonna let it shine, let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.

Hide it under a bushel? NO! (and here we would vigorously stomp our right foot) I'm gonna let it shine.
Hide it under a bushel? NO! I'm gonna let it shine, let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.

Don't let Satan (or your friends or neighbors or parents or life itself) blow it out! [and here we would hold up our pointing finger and blow as hard as we could),
I'm gonna let it shine, let it shine, let it shine, let it shine!

Not to preach here, but are you letting your light shine?

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! If I didn't know you better I would say you did some yoga this morning... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wise counsel, indeed, for those of us who deal with people quick to pounce on any evidence of mustiness, etc.!

    ReplyDelete