Monday, May 23, 2011

Trouble in Paradise

My mother had always bemoaned the fact that my husband and I had moved into the poor section of Newton -- actually the oldest section of Newton originally known as Nonantum, now Newton Corner -- but the poor side of Newton Corner, at the base of the hill.  But I was delighted.  The magnificent homes were on the other side of Centre Street, so no need to worry about break ins.  If folks wanted to steal, they would steal from the wealthy.  We were on a little dead end street peopled by the workers of the world.  Never a break in, but then that was 40 years ago.  I wonder what she would say today if she were to read this post.

Last week I woke up to an email containing the following message:

"On Thursday morning, D.... went to add some items to our trash barrel (on the street), and discovered a wallet on top.  I took it to the police station - it belonged to a woman living up the street, whose car had been broken into.

So:  just a warning to lock your car and don't leave tempting items in sight."

Being a bit skeptical, I wondered about that.  Why would anyone leave a wallet on top of a trash barrel? Or for that matter, in plain view in their car?

The next day, walking to my book warehouse through the back alleyway and up to the 'hills', I met a policeman on detail on Newtonville Avenue and talked to him about the incident.

Oh, yes, he said. Very common.  People think they can leave anything in their cars in full view -- wallets, pocketbooks, computers, cell phones, GPS units -- and they're surprised when they return to their cars to find the . . . wallets, pocketbooks, computers, cellphones, GPS units . . . no longer there!  2 o'clock in the morning.  That's when the burglars hit.  They come and go in 2 minutes.  If you happen to see them, they'll be gone by the time you throw on your robe and get out the door, not that I would recommend doing that!

0 comments:

Post a Comment