Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Grandpa Moses' Favorite Hymn

Grandpa Moses' favorite hymn, "This world is not my home . . " was a hymn he taught Marash Girl when she was very young, a hymn she remembers to this day!

This world is not my home

This world is not my home, I'm just a-passin' through
My treasures are laid up, somewhere beyond the blue,
The angels beckon me from heaven's open door,
And I can't feel at home in this world anymore.
   Oh Lord, You know I have no friend like you.
   If Heaven's not my home, then Lord what will I do?
   The angels beckon me from heaven's open door,
   And I can't feel at home in this world anymore.

Luckily, Marash Girl, then only 6 years old, did not understand the full import of this hymn when her grandfather, then well into his '80's, taught her.

1 comment:

  1. That was sung a dew months before his death. He ha never been ill. When his wife died and went to heaven, he must have wanted to follow her, having never let her out of his sight for the last twenty years of her life. When grandma became blind, grandpa Moses became her eyes. Her physical eyes. As grandma said, god allowed her sight to be taken, and gave her spiritual eyes, instead. I used to hear hear prayers spoken aloud in the summer with her windows thrown open.. They were as a gentle rain falling to the ground and rising to heaven all afternoon. They were the steeple of my summer days, and a canopy under which I lived. When grandpa lay in the hospital, felled by a stroke suffered a few months following the passing of grandma, he told dad he could see Jesus his Saviour standing in the room, and grandpa was just waiting to be called home. He died with a smile on his face. What made that especially poignant was the passing of 'old man Cogan', a rich man who lied and cheated, purportedly, his way to wealth. He died screaming to be saved from the darkness into which he was falling.

    ReplyDelete