Saturday, August 23, 2014

THE GIVING TREE, Armenian Style

Family Day at Camp Haiastan brought Marash Girl and Marash Boy to Franklin, Massachusetts, to visit with their two grandchildren.  The visit began with one of the campers retelling an Armenian folk tale that Marash Girl had never heard.  

THE GIVING TREE, an ancient Armenian folk tale

Once there was a poor man who went into the forest looking for a tree to cut down so that he could chop it into pieces and sell the wood in the marketplace in order to feed his family.

Finding the largest tree he had ever seen, he began to chop it down.  The tree cried out, why are you hurting me?  The poor man answered, because I must sell your wood in the market place in order to feed my family.  The tree answered, I will give you a magic table so that you will always have food to feed your family.  Just do not chop me down.

The tree gave the poor woodsman a table that would always have food on it, and the woodsman went away happy.  But one day the woodsman was telling a rich neighbor about his table, and the rich neighbor offered the woodsman many pieces of gold for the table.  The woodsman looked at the gold, looked at the table, looked at the gold, and agreed to sell the table to his neighbor.  But after a year, there was no gold left, and the woodsman had to return to chopping wood in order to feed his family. He found the the largest tree he had ever seen, the same tree that had given him the table, and he started to chop it down.  The tree cried out, why are you hurting me?  The poor man answered, because I must sell your wood in the market place in order to feed my family. The tree asked, what happened to the magic table I gave you? The poor man answered, I sold it for gold, and now I have no more gold.

The tree said to the poor man, I will give you a donkey.  How will that donkey help me feed my family? asked the poor man.   Just tell the donkey to bray, and when he does, he will bray gold coins. You will never want again.  But one day the woodsman was telling another rich neighbor about his donkey, and that rich neighbor offered to buy the donkey for more pieces of gold than the woodsman had ever seen.  The woodsman looked at the gold, looked at the donkey, looked at the gold, and agreed to sell the donkey to his neighbor.  But after a year,  there was no gold left, and the woodsman had to return to chopping wood in order to feed his family. He found the the largest tree he had ever seen, the same tree that had given him the donkey, and he started to chop it down.  The tree cried out, why are you hurting me?  The poor man answered, because I have no money left to feed my family.  The tree asked, what happened to the donkey that I gave you? The poor man answered, I sold it for gold, and now I have no gold left.  The tree answered,  See this stick?  and the tree told the stick to beat the man.  Stop, stop, shouted the man.  The tree told the stick to stop, and told the man, I will give you this stick, and every time you tell it to beat someone, it will do so until you tell it to stop.  The poor man thanked the tree, took the stick and went to his rich neighbor.  Do you see this stick, he asked his neighbor.  It is a magic stick.  And he told the stick to beat his rich neighbor.  The neighbor cried out, please tell your stick to stop beating me!  I will tell the stick to stop beating you if you return my table to me, and so the rich neighbor returned the magic table to the poor man, and the poor man told the stick to stop beating his neighbor.  Then  the poor woodsman went to the rich neighbor that had bought the donkey from him, and said to the rich neighbor,  Do you see this stick?   It is a magic stick.  And he told the stick to beat the rich neighbor who had purchased the magic donkey.  The rich neighbor cried out, please tell your stick to stop beating me!  I will tell the stick to stop beating you if you return my donkey to me, and so the rich neighbor returned the magic donkey to the poor man, the poor man told the stick to stop beating his neighbor, and the poor man was never poor again.

5 comments:

  1. What an interesting folk tale. One of the reasons that I love folk tales is that there is usually more there than meets the mind; still there is more than one conclusion from this ancient tale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This tale most likely is sourced in the pre-christian history of Armenia, or, at the very least, before the verities of Christianity had taken hold of the culture. Magic is forbidden and is ascribed to a demonic spirit. Any who practiced it were condemned to death. This is one of the reasons King Saul is seen as lost to the nether world, when he secretly seeks out a medium to raise up the spirit of the dead prophet Samuel. Also, there is no redeeming virtue to this story. There is nothing learned, except to look to magic and violent action against another as a source of one's prosperity, or, if you will, redemption.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn. And here I grew up loving fairy tales. You've gone and taken all the fun out of it! Phooey!

      Delete
    2. Verities? That word means truths. So a guy who talks to a burning bush and told to smite Egypt with a magic stick that has bio weapons and can spread plagues is more true than a talking tree?

      ROFL

      Sorry that one killed me. Thank you for posting this story up. My Master told me about this one a long time ago.

      -Jose

      Delete
  3. I liked the story, and did not find it magical but rather allegorical - the bounty granted to us in mysterious ways, that sustains us, is too-easily confounded with piles of apparent riches. We should be content with that bounty, rather than seduced by the shiny alternative. Yet even if we in our ignorance and greed are led astray, we are not forever hungry and lost. Return to the Source seeking sustenance, and after a painful reminder of our unworthiness, all will be set right.

    ReplyDelete