Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Fire & Ice (Wilbraham, Massachusetts)

Fool that I was,  setting a fire (smart) with bare feet (not so smart) in the hand built brick fireplace located behind our once backwoods, now end of the suburbs, country cabin. . . .  I take great pride in being able to create fires that will cook perfect shish kebab -- can't do that with fires that the guys set (from huge logs) or with fires that my husband delights in putting together in five minutes (from all natural charcoal briquettes).  Have to do it myself starting with white birch bark (a trick that my nephew Jordan taught me), dry leaves, twigs, branches, limbs (all dry), feeding the limbs in as they burn.  Just like my Marashtzi mother-in-law taught me, just like the Guatemalan women in the countryside.  Sure saves on chopping wood.  After an hour of pushing the limbs into the fireplace as they burn, I usually have a great fire going, enough to cook shish kebab for 20.  But preparing a fire or cooking over a fire while barefoot may be playing the peasant, but not the clever peasant.   I learned my lesson the hard way when a burning coal fell unnoticed off of the front edge of the fireplace, and I stepped square onto it with my bare right foot.  (I don't know how those yogis survive!)  Now what . . . but, in fact, I knew just what to do.  Ice cubes.  And although my foot was burning badly, the ice cubes worked . .  I simply stepped on an ice cube (replacing it as it melted with another ice cube) for 8 hours.  I never did cook that shish kebab (luckily it was just for our family -- no guests that day).  Instead, I sat on our front porch, looking out at the Pioneer Valley, and placing one ice cube after another under my foot until the burning stopped.  And the burning did stop. Eight hours later.  Nary a scar. Thanks be to God.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had lots of ice cubes available . . .located on encroaching suburbia (with electricity and the amenities) may be a good thing after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the technique of starting a fire, shown to you by Jordan is a technique that all boy scouts learn on their first camping adventure. what makes it special for a boy growing up with Algonquins, Iroquois, Abenaki, and Huron indians, is the use of the white, or yellow, or any birch bark as part of the kindling. pine needles you can find in many places, and i am sure birch bark is ubiquitous, as well, but not the bark of birch grown in the forest of the imagination of a boy reading late at night when all the lights are out except for the one dimmed in his bedroom, so as not to attract attention, or the one that pre dates the dawn and the rising of adults and the shattering of the mists and clouds and breezes and canoes and single filing through the forest of birch, those white ghosts and golden cherubs, aged and new born, the cradles of canoes, pathfinder through the lakes and rivers and streams that were the sinew of the forest that was the home of the red man, bear grease and ferocity, half naked and clothed in the skin of the animals he had braved to kill, wearing moccasins that had been chewed by the women who loved him, for his bravery, his provision, so that his feet, and his winter finery would be soft and yielding to his bones and muscles. the birch of pure air and leaf, of music that were signals to the runners and hunters signing the breeze to be upwind or downwind, and the clapping of their hands as they urged the hunters onward to their destination, a tympany of tone and light, the rhythm of footfall and forest.

    ReplyDelete