Thursday, July 5, 2012

Visiting Blogger Karoun on the 4th of July, 2012, Springfield, Massachusetts

What do you do on the 4th of July?  Mass Moca, Max's Tavern, the Basketball Hall of fame, Dr Seuss Musuem...hmmm doesn't sound quite so patriotic?  Without my brother Deron around to crack the whip of 4th of July tradition (East Longmeadow Parade, and Fireworks from the parking garage -- dingy -- but after all, the best view in town), the world of Western Mass. was our oyster!

Alas, we had so many plans, and what did we actually end up doing?  Spending time in my (very chic and hip loft) condo!
View from the condo at sunset on July 4, 2012:  Worthington Street, Springfield, Massachusetts
After a full day of conversation and visiting (my friend from college Chrissy, her fiancé Sky, and my mother Marash Girl) including lunch and a brief tour of Downtown Springfield and the Dr. Seuss Museum, I was hoping to get down to the Connecticutt River front at least, if only to watch the concert and see the fireworks from there (this was the perk of not having my older brother around - no offense, Deron - I could call the shots regarding from where we would watch the fireworks!).

Alas, that did not happen either!  Enter my father Marash Boy, who does not want to do anything that even smells of the 4th of July.  The concert had already started and we chose not to head down to the waterfront, but just down Worthington Street, one block to Adolfo's to have dinner. (This happened only after my mother Marash Girl, who never ever has a drop of liquor, decided to take a breathalyzer test on the new machine planted outside the bar to find out her alcohol level.  It was 8pm and she was completely sober.  I'm sure I don't have to mention here that people were staring.)

After dinner we stepped outside, and there, sans throngs of people, peeking out between the Mass. Mutual Tower and Worthy Buildings, were the fireworks.  Aaah - finally - a piece of the Independence Day.  Deron would be proud.  Sort of. 

On the left, the Mass. Mutual Tower, on the right, the old Worthy Hotel, Springfield, 4 July 2012


0 comments:

Post a Comment