Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Long, Long Ago

Long, Long Ago
Appearing magically in a pile of sheet music that Marash Girl had purchased for resale from a century old music store was the original sheet music (without lyrics) "transcribed for pianoforte" of a song that Marash Girl's father used to love to sing, (though admittedly, he remembered only the first verse, more than Marash Girl remembers).   Do you, dear reader, remember the tune?  If so, you can sing along.  Here are the lyrics Marash Girl found on the internet.

Tell me the tales that to me were so dear
Long, long ago, long, long ago
Sing me the songs I delighted to hear
Long, long ago, long ago.

Now you are come all my grief is removed
Let me forget for how long you have roved
Let me believe that you love as you loved
Long, long ago, long ago.

Do you remember the path where we met
Long, long ago, long, long ago
Ah yes, you told me you ne'er forget
Long, long ago, long ago.

Then, to all others, my smile you preferred
Love, when you spoke, gave a charm to each word
Still my heart treasures the praises I heard
Long, long ago, long ago.

3 comments:

  1. Must have stopped singing that after I was born, as I have no recollection of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do remember some of the tune, but the only words I recall are the refrain "long long ago, long ago"..and I keep confusing it in my head with the tune and words for "the old oaken bucket" so I may have learned them at about the same time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What was the tune for the Old Oaken Bucket? Long, Long Ago keeps playing in my head -- no other!

      Delete