Saturday, January 28, 2012

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder

  Would anyone buy a book that had green marker scribbled on the title page?  Here's a book that Marash Girl came upon in her pile of books to be listed for sale at OldCornerBooks.com: Karekin Yebisgobos Sarkisyan, HAYASDANYATS YEGEGHETSIN IR DZARAYAGAN GERBIN MECH. Isvahan, Iran: S. Amenaprgeech Vanki Dbaran Nor Chougha, 1973. Very good paperback, slight storage slant, corners and spine ends slightly bumped, measuring approx. 7x5 inches with inscription and signature by author in Armenian writing on title page as follows: Sireli Digin Azniv Charkoudian - Srdakin maghtanknerov (I know -- It's all Armenian to you!) Translation: Dear Mrs. Azniv Charkoudian, With heart felt wishes, Karekin Sarkisyan 20/1/78.  200 pages in Armenian, pages clean & tight, EXCEPT for title page which sports not only the inscription from Yebisgobos Karekin, but also a green magic marker  inscription made by either Karoun or Deron Charkoudian at age 2 in Smith's Ferry, Holyloke, Massachusetts circa 1980.  Marash Girl gives thanks to anyone who could translate the child's inscription for her!
NOTE:  Karekin Sarkisean later became Katholikos, first of the Great House of Cilicia in Antilias, then as Karekin II Catholicos of All Armenians.
 

1 comment:

  1. Hello. I just happened upon your blog while looking at different Kufte recipes. One of the items that came up was your Merjumek Kufte. Imagine my surprise when I opened it and saw that you were in Chatham and purchased your ingredients at Massis. I live in NY now, but I used to live in S. Yarmouth, and my Mom grew up in Watertown, so I always go to Massis for Lahmejune, etc. when I can :)

    I received some random ingredients to use in a recipe challenge and was thinking about using a few of them in a kufte. I got another laugh when I clicked the follow button to follow your page and saw another "friend" of mine there - Jessica from Cajunlicious. It really is a small world, isn't it?!

    I'll definitely have to come back and read more of your posts later, but I need to go out now. If you're interested in checking out my page - yours dedicated to your Dad, mine to my Grandmother - you can find me at HyeThymeCafe.blogspot.com

    Nice to "meet" you. :)

    ReplyDelete