Monday, April 28, 2014

Soft as a grape?

Since when are grapes soft?  Only when they're old and past the pale, or gone through a frost.  Is that what that expression means?  A person who's gone through the frost (as it were) and come out the worse for wear? Wondering about the expression, Marash Girl checked the internet and found no reference to the origin of the expression . . . Is it only used in Boston? In Massachusetts?  In New England?  Someone help me out here . . .

To go one step further with this thought, whatever do you do with soft grapes?  You could make grape jelly or grape jam because when grapes are soft, they're the sweetest. . . Or quicker and easier is  to toss them in the freezer and pop them into your mouth whenever you want a tiny popsicle (this, of course works best in summer, but is still fun in mid-winter.)

Frozen grapes: the ultimate in recycling!  (After soup, of course, but Marash Girl has never tried to use soft grapes in soup.)

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, good question. I guess they're considered soft because they have no edges? As far as I know, it means "dense," as in "not the sharpest tool in the shed." I did a Google search and saw someone reference this in a forum as a MA expression. When I was a kid, I worked in a t-shirt store on the Cape, and I think we used to order our blank tees from Soft as A Grape. :)

    ReplyDelete