Wednesday, February 6, 2013

"I don't chat!"

There she was, standing in line at the Newton City Hall, waiting to pay the water bill, behind her an old fellow, ahead of her an old fellow, and at the head of the line, a woman trying endlessly to explain her payment issues to the clerk behind the window.  The old fellow ahead of Marash Girl commented aloud, "Looks like it's going to be a long wait."  Thinking that this was a signal that the fellow wanted to converse rather than stand in line staring straight ahead, Marash Girl answered, "I guess we'll have to chat, then!"  "I don't chat," grumbled the old fellow.  "Not even if I tell you I've lived in Newton all my life, attended Newton schools, and came back here to raise my children?"  "That's enough," declared the old fellow, and that, as they say, was the end of that!

0 comments:

Post a Comment